Reduce Your Legal Liability:
Updates to Laws and Ethics for Mental Health Providers
Tired of all the legal hearsay? Come learn directly from one of the foremost mental health legal experts in the region. Learn about the legal and ethical issues impacting the practice of mental health, including confidentiality, privilege, informed consent, mandated reporting, documentation, tele-health, electronic health records, boundaries and courts. We will discuss the provisions of the Maryland and DC laws and regulations, the ethical codes, how to recognize potential issues, informed consent and communicating with the client, and avoiding inappropriate and/or unintended consequences, and the role of the practitioner in the court system, including responding to subpoenas, and testifying at depositions and in court. The session will also discuss planning for retirement, emergencies, and death.
Date: Friday, July 9, 2021
Time: Sign-In: 8:30am – Workshop: 9:00am-4:00pm
Location: Online, Real-Time, Interactive via Zoom (Still receive Category I CEU Credits!)
Cost: $149 early registration through July 2
$165 after July 2, 2021
$130 Group Registration for groups of 3 or more
Presenter: Richard Bloch, JD
CEU Credits: 6 Maryland and DC Social Work Category I Ethics CEUs (accepted for many other mental health professionals as well – see below)
Richard Bloch is President and Senior Attorney at Shiling, Bloch & Hirsch, P.A. Mr. Bloch has been in the private practice of law in Baltimore, Maryland since 1972. He received his B.A. from The George Washington University in 1968, and his J.D. from The University of Maryland, School of Law in 1972. He is admitted to practice in Maryland, the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, the United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States. His practice focuses on health law, general business matters, trade association law, estate planning and administration and civil litigation. He also represents health practitioners before the Maryland Health Occupation Boards of Examiners, including Psychologists, Social Workers, Professional Counselors and Physicians. Mr. Bloch has been General Counsel to the Maryland Psychological Association since 1979, He writes and lectures regularly on the legal and ethical issues relating to the practice of psychology and the mental health professions. He is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association and the Baltimore County Bar Association.
CEU Credit Info
All attendees receive Maryland and DC Social Work CEU credits. These credits are accepted for:
- Maryland Licensed Professional Counselors
- Maryland Social Workers
- Maryland Psychologists
- Maryland Substance Abuse Counselors
- Maryland Marriage and Family Therapists
- Maryland Residential Child Care Professionals
- DC Social Workers
- DC Licensed Professional Counselors
- Virginia Social Workers
- West Virginia Social Workers
- New Jersey Social Workers
- Alabama Social Workers
- Don't see your licensure listed here? Contact your licensing board and ask if they accept Maryland or DC Social Work approved credits. Many states automatically accept credits approved by another state licensing board.
Maryland CEU Institute/Optimal Life Solutions, LLC is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners (under the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene) for continuing education credits (Category 1 CEUs). Our workshops are also approved for credit through the DC Board of Social Work. For more information please visit our FAQ page.
- Recognizing legal and ethical issues relating to private practice.
2. Explaining the analytical processes that must be followed in resolving issues.
3. Describe the mental health practitioner’s obligations regarding informed consent and disclosing potential conflicts to the client.
4. Explain professional wills and how to plan for transitions in the practice.
5. Explain the mental health practitioner’s role in responding to subpoenas and in court proceedings.
6. Review the limitations and requirements for tele-mental health.
News & Events
Subscribe to our e-newsletter and get a coupon for 10% off a one day workshop or $20 off a 2-day workshop!
(301) 539 9355