SafeTALK: How to be a More Suicide Alert Provider
SafeTALK teaches participants to recognize and engage persons who might be having thoughts of suicide and to connect them with community resources trained in suicide intervention. safeTALK stresses safety while challenging taboos that inhibit open talk about suicide. The safeTALK learning process is highly structured, providing graduated exposure to practice actions. The program is designed to help participants age 15 or older to monitor the effect of false societal beliefs that can cause otherwise caring and helpful people to miss, dismiss, or avoid suicide alerts and to practice the TALK steps to move past these three barriers. Six 60-90 second video scenarios, each with non-alert and alert clips, are selected from a library of scenarios and strategically used through the training to provide experiential referents for the participants.
Date: Saturday, May 30, 200
Time: Sign-In: 9:30am – Workshop: 10:00am-1:00pm
Cost: FREE – preregistration required SPACE IS LIMITED!
Presenter: Juli Murray, MS
CEU Credits: 3 Maryland and DC Category 1 Social Work CEUs – Accepted for many other mental health professionals (see below for details)
Juli Murray is an enthusiastic trainer and coach, particularly about mental wellness and education. She is the founder and lead trainer of Inquiring Minds LLC, and also teaches psychology classes at Anne Arundel Community College and Capella University. Juli is currently working towards her PhD in Educational Psychology. She also has a master’s degree in Industrial and Organizational Psychology.
Previously, Juli and her team won awards for their work with teens with severe mental health issues, and she was a Crisis Text Line counselor. In her free time, she serves as the Education Chair for the Board of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, bakes desserts and plays frisbee with her dogs. She is a certified instructor in Mental Health First Aid, SafeTALK and Living Well with Chronic Pain. She loves to meet new people, so please feel free to connect in person or online.
CEU Credit Info
Our CEU credits are accepted for:
- Maryland Licensed Professional Counselors
- Maryland Social Workers
- Maryland Psychologists
- Maryland Substance Abuse Counselors
- Maryland Marriage and Family Therapists
- Maryland Residential Child Care Professionals
- DC Social Workers
- DC Licensed Professional Counselors
- Virginia Social Workers
- West Virginia Social Workers
- Don’t see your licensure listed here? Email us at email@example.com
Maryland CEU Institute/Optimal Life Solutions, LLC is an approved sponsor of the Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners (under the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene) for continuing education credits (Category 1 CEUs). Our workshops are also approved for credit through the DC Board of Social Work. For more information please visit our FAQ page.
- Challenge attitudes that inhibit open talk about suicide
- Recognize a person who might be having thoughts of suicide
- Engage persons with thoughts of suicide in direct and open talk about suicide
- Listen to the person’s feelings about suicide and show that they are taken seriously
- Move quickly to connect them with someone trained in suicide first aid intervention.
(301) 539 9355